Thursday, July 16, 2009

Home Alone

The last day from Memphis to Winston-Salem was a long day on the superslab ... much like the trip began 3 weeks ago. Woke up early, packed and left Memphis around 7am. We made great time with endless gas stops and breaks at McDonald's (my new favorite place). McDonald's is great because we can fill up our water bottles with ice from their drink machines.

Highlights of the trip home included the high speed run through the TN/NC mountains on I-40. We were bookin' ... those BMW riders just couldn't keep up (although they tried ...)

We encountered road work on I-40 around Morganton. That's never a good thing on a motorcycle. The left lane was closed, but we stayed in it as long as possible and passed an endless stream of cars and trucks. My sincere apologies to the cars, but it's really tough trying to go that slow on a motorcycle with all that gear ... I noticed that the motorcycle was surging at the low speeds and I suspected the chain was going bad. Suspicions were confirmed at the next exit ... wow was it loose!!! Paul and I tightened the chain as much as possible in a convenience store parking lot ... Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance triumphs once again!!! A great way to end the trip. Thankfully we were able to get home safely.

Well, I'm finally home after 7,756 wonderful miles on a motorcyle trip for three weeks with 2 great friends. It's wierd waking up and having to get your own breakfast and make your own bed after 3 weeks of motels. Hope to post a postscript after I've had a chance to make sense of it all. Right now, I just know that it was a wonderful trip!!!

Thanks everyone for following along with us!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment