Tuesday, July 14, 2009

WWED

Thunder and major rain woke me up to start the day (never a good sign ...). However I was encouraged when it looked like it was clearing. We packed the bikes to leave Mountain View and head for the last world class motorcycle road on our list--Push Mountain Road.
The 25 mile road was a series of high speed sweepers that would have been much more fun without the thunder, lightening, rain, and fog. The White River was very unusual with the fog hanging above the river. Paul led through the high speed stuff and all in all it was a great road.
When we headed for home, the rain increased in intensity and my GPS stopped working. In addition I was getting increasingly soaked, since I neglected to put on all my rain gear. And my glasses and visor were so fogged up that I couldn't read the map ... not a good way to start the trip home! Since I could not see, I stopped to look at the map ... we should have figured out that that was not a good idea, because the rain quickly turned the map into pulp. What to do ... ?
Than it came to me!!! WWED ... (What would Elvis Do?) Let's go to Memphis!!! What a great idea. We went to the next town Melbourne and found a Community Center. It was unlocked with a sign that they had gone to lunch. I gave us the opportunity to change into dry clothes and and when they returnned they gave us an official Arkansas map and directions to Memphis! Talk about devine intervention ... wow, they saved the day!!!
So now we're on Beale Street (what a great place!!!). Went to a Blues Bar, heard a great band (Delta Highway) and had a great dinner. What a wonderful day it was ... doesn't get any better than that!
So how far is it from Memphis to Winston-Salem? Guess we better go to bed ... tomorrow could be a long day!

Delta Highway



No comments:

Post a Comment