Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Thunder, Hail, Rain, Wind, and Cold

I woke up around 6am to thunder and the sound of hail on the roof (never a good way to start the day ...) When I looked outside the parking lot was covered with hail. Most of the morning was cold and rainy. Fortunately we had prepared ... for me that included rain pants, rain jacket, long sleeve capilene, electric vest, rain gloves, rain boots, rain scarf, etc. In addition to my Aerostich riding suit. Wow, how can you ride with all that stuff? I wore basically everything I had! All sealed up an electrified, I turned on my heated grips, fired up the engine, and Joe lead us out into the elements. Once you get going it's not too bad, and even though it was cold and rainy, I was quit comfortable (all sealed up). Sort of reminded me of our trip to Alaska several years ago ... a lot of good memories!

We eventually outran the rain enroute to Red Lodge (a Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance destination). Good Karma just to be there!

Beartooth Highway was the main objective of the day. It's an absolutely incredible road--a definite Top 10 World Class Motorcycle Road. The scenery is spectacular and the multiple 180 + degree switchbacks are a challenge. I was having a great time until we got close to the 12,000 foot summit. The wind was ferocious--very unsetling on a motorcycle as you enter a 180 degree switchback the wind comes from all different directions, just keeping the bike on the road and not being blown off a cliff is a challenge! Definitely a religious experience! An answer to prayer ... thank you Lord for getting me down safely!

We're spending the night in Thermopolis, WY--home of the world's largest mineral hot springs! Not sure how they calculate the largest, but it's pretty cool to be here!

Hope to be in Leadville tomorrow!

PS Sorry ... no photos, internet is too slow and it's past my bedtime. Hope to post photos when we get a better connection.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Dick, Joe & Paul,

    Pat and I are looking forward to your arrival in Leadville this evening, Thursday, 7.9.2009. Unfortunately, your preference for dinner, Rosie's Brewpub, has closed. Maybe The Grill (Mexican), Quincy's (steak) or Subway?

    Steve Smith wants to meet all of you and asked us to meet him for breakfast, 8 AM, Friday, 7.10.2009, at The Golden Burro in downtown Leadville.

    See you soon!
    Ken

    ReplyDelete